"Wherefore, go to, and call servants, that we may labor diligently with our might in the vineyard, that we may prepare the way...and if ye labor with your might with me ye shall have joy in the fruit... And it came to pass that the servants did go and labor with their mights; and the Lord of the vineyard labored also with them." -- Jacob 5: 61 & 71-72

Monday, October 26, 2015

To Convert is to Become. It's the process of Change in Becoming.

Reunion de Cambio with Hermana Andrade & Hermana Díaz, my mission president's wife

Change is a part of God's perfect plan for His children. I think it is a necessary part. I had planned to study "change" this last week, and then I realized that we would have transfers... In Spanish, we call them "cambios," or "changes." So that's perfect.:) It's been a week of an awful lot of change.

I have a new companion! Number 10, I think. Or 11. It's weird knowing that she'll also be my last.:) But I am so excited--Hermana Andrade is an angel! We've always wanted to be companions, this whole entire last year.:) Hermana Andrade comes from Brazil, de Rio de Janeiro. She's got 14 months in the mission, and she's an amazing missionary (just like Hermana Moraga:)). I'm grateful for the chance to finish my mission serving the Lord with such a sweet soul. It's gonna be a fun one!
with Hna. Andrade at
clase de Ingles.
#englishmajormissionary
But with that all said...I wanted to talk today about change.

"Can you give us change for a 10?"
"Ack, I really need to go and change my clothes..."
"Sweetheart...what changed with us?"
"No, we've changed our hours. Your shift will start at 9."
"We didn't like the principal. We've decided to change her schools."
"What more do you want me to do? What more can I do to make you happy? Can't you see how much I've changed?"
"Son, you really need to make a change."
"I'm looking to change jobs. I need a change of pace.
"Something's...changed..." (name that movie)
"Hey, can you change my order? I want a Coke instead of fries."
"The seasons are changing...the times are changing, too."
"Can you give me change for a 20?"

Why do we change so many things in our lives? Why would we want bills smaller than a 10? Why would we want to change our clothes or our wardrobe or our style? Why do we change the channel or the station? We do it because even though change is hard sometimes...it might very well be for our good.

The people experienced a mighty change of heart.
"Your hearts are changed through faith on His name."
"There was a mighty change wrought in his heart."
"Their hearts had been changed, that they had no more desire to do evil."
"Repentance bringeth a change of heart."
"That they might not taste of death there was a change wrought."
"He changeth not; if so he would cease to be God."
"He that liveth in righteousness shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye."

The prophet Alma called this mortal life a probationary state--a test run; a chance to make the changes necessary in order to be prepared to stand before our God. He gives us an entire lifetime to change and to change and to change until we get there. We keep the goal in mind, and we keep tweaking the model until it's perfect... Conversion is the process of change that we pass through as we strive to become more like the Savior. Just as water is converted into steam when we add heat--or as water becomes ice when that heat is removed--conversion is a literal change in our physical, emotional, and spiritual state. We are converted, when heat and trials are applied, into a better, higher state of being. Change is the steps we take on that path to conversion--the way we align ourselves with the will of God and the example of the Savior.

In the last October General Conference, Elder Larry R. Lawrence shared some thoughts that really changed my perspective on "change." He said,

"The journey of discipleship is not an easy one. It has been called a 'course of steady improvement.' As we travel along that straight and narrow path, the Spirit continually challenges us to be better and to climb higher. The Holy Ghost makes an ideal traveling companion. If we are humble and teachable, He will take us by the hand and lead us home.

"However, we need to ask the Lord for directions along the way. We have to ask some difficult questions, like 'What do I need to change?' ¨How can I improve?¨ ¨What weakness needs strengthening?¨

"The Holy Ghost doesn't tell us to improve everything at once. If He did, we would become discouraged and give up. The Spirit works with us at our own speed, one step at a time...

"The atoning sacrifice of the Savior is what makes perfection or sanctification possible. We could never do it on our own, but God's grace is sufficient to help us.

"I would like to suggest that each of you participate in a spiritual exercise sometime soon, perhaps even tonight while saying your prayers. Humbly ask the Lord the following question: ¨What is keeping me from progressing?¨ Then wait quietly for a response. If you are sincere, the answer will soon become clear. It will be revelation intended just for you.

"Be persistent, brothers and sisters, but never be discouraged. Keep on the path of progressing. If spiritual growth is not a priority in our lives, if we are not on a course of steady improvement, we will miss out on the important experience that God wants to give us." (Larry R. Lawrence, What Lack I Yet?)  (PS: I did this...the answer came back fast. I need to pray better. So I'm working hard to improve the quality of my prayers...)

Sometimes the changes we make are gradual. Sometimes the changes the Lord makes in us are gradual... As it nears its close, I can't help but find myself hoping that He's wrought some changes here in me. That I have changed my state of being... I can't really see those changes--like the change from ice to water, it's been as slow and gradual as melting, but I sure hope I have. All I know is that the things that used to try my patience simply don't anymore. The things that used to anger or frustrate me simply don't anymore...

I've thought about it an awful lot. I'm so grateful for a perfected Father in Heaven who NEVER changes--and who is ALWAYS there to help us to keep changing until we no longer have to. He gave us His Son, and His Son gave His life, in order to make that spiritual chemistry possible. He knows how to do it, and all we have to do is be willing enough to let Him.

Have the courage to make the changes the Spirit is prompting you to make...to kneel down and ask the Father for His gentle, loving help...to align yourself even a little better with the will of God and the example of our Savior. The path of discipleship isn't so much a long-distance spring as it is the ability to use a compass and a map. As long as we can constantly keep aligning it and adjusting it to lead us in the right direction, we will make it. A lifetime of tiny daily changes, shifts, and adjustments=the end of a lifetime converted.

"Can you give me change for a 10?"
"I really need to go and change my clothes..."
"Sweetheart...what changed with us?"
"No, we've changed our hours. Your shift will start at 9."
"We didn't like the principal. We've decided to change her schools."
"What more do you want me to do? What more can I do to make you happy? Can't you see how much I've changed?"
"Son, you really need to make a change."
"I'm looking to change jobs. I need a change of pace."
"Hey, can you change my order? I want a Coke instead of fries."
"The seasons are changing...the times are changing, too."

"Your hearts are changed through faith."
"There was a mighty change wrought in his heart."
"Their hearts had been changed, that they had no more desire to do evil."
"Repentance bringeth a change of heart."
"He that liveth in righteousness shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye."

He knows how to turn ice into water. Let Him keep molding you into the child He'd have you become. Ask Him for change for your 10. (Ones are easier to use, anyway.:))

Have a wonderful week! I love you all so much!

Con Amor,
Hermana Sanford

Hna. and Hno. Erices take good care of us.
We love them!

Hna Maria, Hna Chabelita Jofre, and her granddaughter

With Hermana Monica Miranda

Guillermo :)

Cup O' Noodles with Hna. Forste during intercambios

Reunion de Cambio in Viña del Mar

My new compañera, Hna Andrade from Brazil

Reunion de Cambio with Hna. Gibson and Hna. Carlson

Old Missionary filmstrip from
Dad's missionary days

Old missionary filmstrips en Español

No comments:

Post a Comment