![]() |
| PACKAGE! I LOVE YOU; FAMILY! YOU are my Sunshine. :) LOVE YOU! |
I look around me at a tiny branch of 35...and realize that more is not always better. More is not always stronger. Triple digits doesn't lift more weight: these double digits astound me with the weight they're lifting. They make a beeline for every new face. They keep the sabbath day holy. They hold weekly FHE. Everyone comes to branch activities. They ask about our investigators. They know our investigators. They have two missionaries out there in the field. They're doing things that bigger wards aren't even doing. And then I see our sweet Loreto, beaming and with hands of worthy priesthood holders on her head, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost...and I cannot help but think what a great addition she's going to make to these small numbers of 30... What strength she's going to bring to the strength of the 30 that the 30've already got.
They astound me.
All the Nephites ever wanted was to defend their homes and families... To protect their god-given religious liberty and the freedom to worship as they will... The Lamanites desire to bring them into slavery and bondage, and half-clothed Lamanite warriors come running and pouring down the hill, wailing and wielding their weapons of war, angry and ready to kill... An army more than twice the size of the tiny little Nephite army...
"And they were inspired by the Zoramites and the Amalekites, who were their chief captains and leaders, and by Zerahemnah, who was their chief captain, or their chief leader and commander; yea, they did fight like dragons, and many of the Nephites were slain by their hands, yea, for they did smite in two many of their head-plates, and they did pierce many of their breastplates, and they did smite off many of their arms; and thus the Lamanites did smite in their fierce anger.
"And it came to pass that when the men of Moroni saw the fierceness and the anger of the Lamanites, they were about to shrink and flee from them. And Moroni, perceiving their intent, sent forth and inspired their hearts with these thoughts—yea, the thoughts of their lands, their liberty, yea, their freedom from bondage.
"And it came to pass that they turned upon the Lamanites, and they cried with one voice unto the Lord their God, for their liberty and their freedom from bondage.
"And they began to stand against the Lamanites with power; and in that selfsame hour that they cried unto the Lord for their freedom, the Lamanites began to flee before them; and they fled even to the waters of Sidon.
"Now, the Lamanites were more numerous, yea, by more than double the number of the Nephites; nevertheless, they were driven insomuch that they were gathered together in one body in the valley, upon the bank by the river Sidon.
"Therefore the armies of Moroni encircled them about..."
I haven't a single doubt that the Rama Chorrillos would survive and triumph in an attack from their adversary, the enemy of us all, because they know how to cling together and arm themselves and cry unto their God to save them... They are the evidence to me that through "small and simple things are great things brought to pass..." (Alma 37:6) I find it interesting that Alma shares this counsel and insight with his son, Helaman, just a few chapters before he recounts this miraculous Nephite battle. He must have learned it a thousand times throughout the course of his own life... A very small and simple pero, through which the Lord brought many incredible things to pass.
Sometimes we feel small and simple. Almost ALL the time, I'd imagine. I know I do. Sometimes I wonder how He could possibly have so much patience to forgive and forget each time I mess up, which are many, and love me despite my thousand and one imperfections...all the thousand and one things that make me small and simple. But I trust in His promise that He WILL, and I accept my being small and simple on the chance that He might use me to bring to pass His great and marvelous purposes. He's awfully patient...but through small and simple things, the Lord confounds the wise. We don't--but He does. And He will. I know He will.
Loreto was confirmed yesterday a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Later that night, we attended a family home eveing in the home of the most awesome member family who accepted our invitation to fellowship her and make her feel welcome in and part of the branch. They invited her into their home, established an environment in which she could feel the Spirit, taught an inspired lesson and showed by example how to hold a successful family home evening, and provide her the opportunity to share her testimony and a few of her spiritual experiences. Her newly-hatched, baby testimony was strengthened, and ours was, too. They became friends immediately, and her home teachers were already there to meet her and gauge her availability--to offer their help and total support if and when she needs it. This incredible family then took the initiative to invite her back for lunch in a few weeks to make empanadas, and we all parted as friends.
She paid tithing for the first time yesterday morning. I have no doubt that she'll have a calling within two weeks.
I am astounded by the faith of Loreto and of the rest of the members here in Chorrillos... By all the sacrifices and esfuerzos that they make on a daily basis in order to magnify their callings with all their heart, might, mind, and strength. They love the Lord, and they love His gospel. There were so many people who wanted to share their testimony yesterday that there wasn't enough time for all of them. They may be small in numbers, and they may be simple in faith, but with the faith that He can use them, I know that the Lord is working miracles here in this tiny little branch in Viña. He is bring many great things to pass. His work is rolling forward here in Chile.
I love you all! Have a wonderful week!:)
Con todo mi amor,
Hermana Sanford
PS: No new updates on Mauricio, but we'll see him tonight.:) I'll let you know! And we're just working hard to find new investigators and new people to teach! Keep us in your prayers!:)
![]() |
| OH MY GOSH WE WENT TO MCDONALDS. :) I almost cried. My first Big Mac in over a year... Wow. It was way too expensive and way too small but WAY too good. Haha. I love American Food. :) |
![]() |
| With Hna. Forste and Hna. Andrade for the day! |
![]() |
| Hna. Flores! She's got 8 months in the mission. I feel old. |
![]() |
| English classes! :) It's official. I love teaching English. So we're all good there. :) |
![]() |
| Sofia Cataldo! (And mustache scarf. Mostly the mustache scarf. But I sure love Sofia.) |







No comments:
Post a Comment