| Loreto's baptism!!! (L to R) Hna. Evans, Hna. Hansen, Loreto, Hna. Kessler, me, and Diego |
The Anti-Nephi-Lehites inspire me. Their faith motivates me to be a better person... They came to know the gospel through the selfless preaching of Ammon and Aaron and the miraculous conversion of their king and his father... And when their hearts were changed by the influence of the Spirit...they buried their weapons of war and turned their back on bloodshed forever. They covenanted with God to be faithful to Him in all times, in all things, and in all places. They raised righteous children and taught them to look forward to the Savior with a perfect hope in His redemption. They would rather lay down their own lives than take the life of another, and when their enemies, the Lamanites, came running down the hill to slay them, these faithful converts and saints "would not flee from the sword, neither would they turn aside to the right hand or to the left, but that they would lie down and perish, and praised God even in the very act of perishing under the sword." (Alma 24:23) They left a legacy of faith that inspired their children and grandchildren and the thousands of generations to come, and they inspired the missionaries who had brought them the gospel to rejoice in the knowledge that they would one day dwell with them again in the kingdom of God. They became an upright and a zealous people, firm in the faith of Christ in all things, even unto death, and "as the Lord liveth, as many of the Lamanites as believed in their preaching, and were converted unto the Lord, never did fall away."
The Mormon Pioneers inspire me. Their courage motivates me to be a better person... They came to know the gospel throughout the eastern United States, western Europe, and later the entire world, because of the preaching and sacrifices of early, modern-day missionaries who left their own homes and families to preach that newly restored gospel. Without even a glimmer of doubt, they turned their faces toward the West, packed all their earthly belongings into handcarts, left behind their own homes and families, and set off on the journey to Zion. They buried their pasts in the ground and turned their faces toward the future...pressing forward with faith in the promise of a prophet, "that a religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation;....."
I am grateful for modern-day pioneers. Their faith motivates me to become a better person...
Loreto came to know the gospel because of two blonde American missionaries who, for the first time in her life, spoke to her in words that she could understand. She loved everything they taught her...but God had a better plan in mind. It wasn't time quite yet. Two months later...Loreto reappeared--home bound with a twisted ankle and struggling with a depression so fierce she could hardly get out of bed. The psychologists weren't working. She said we arrived just in time--truly, perfect timing is God's making. And her whole eternity changed. This faithful saint made a personal commitment to follow the Savior and buried her past in the ground, giving up everything and anything that would keep her from keeping His commandments. Yesterday, with a radiant and glowing face, she said, "I did this because I felt it was right. But now I feel so clean. I know this is the true Church, and the Savior's gospel will help me to be a good example for my son... All I want is to make it to the temple so that we can be a forever family and so that we can do the work for my grandmothers who passed away without ever knowing they could. I am grateful that the missionaries arrived just in time...and I am so grateful to know now that God loves me. I know He loves all the rest of you, too."
Loreto has turned her face toward the temple and will press forward in faith until she makes it there. She is leaving a legacy of faith, and she gives me the hope of the prayer of Alma, that "God may grant unto these, my brethren, that they may sit down in the kingdom of God; yea, and also all those who are the fruit of their labors that they may go no more out, but that they may praise Him forever." (Alma 29:17) I love Loreto, I love her aspiring-missionary son, Diego, and I will be forever hopeful for the day when, together with the three most incredible of missionaries I have ever met, we can spend the rest of eternity with them in the mansions of our Father.
I am grateful for modern-day pioneers, for the early pioneers...and for the Anti-Nephi-Lehites. I am grateful for their determination to follow their Savior and lay down even their weapons of rebellion against Him. They left a legacy of faith that inspires children and grandchildren, and they continue leaving that legacy that continues inspiring me. In two weeks time, Loreto has changed my life. I hope to follow her example... To lay down my own weapons of rebellion and simply follow the Savior, without looking back or ever questioning "why?"
I give thanks for these pioneers. Find yours and offer up a prayer of gratitude to thank them. They are everywhere...and they are leaving legacies of faith to inspire us.
I love you al! Have a wonderful week!:)
All My Love,
Hermana Sanford
| Loreto with her family |
| All the Chorrillos Hermanas who taught Loreto-- Hna. Kessler, Hna. Sanford, Hna. Hansen, and Hna. Evans |
| The Viña district missionaries at Loreto's baptism |
| Perla :) |
| Ana Maria, a recent convert |
| Hna. Castillo |
| Javier! |
| Best friends :) |
| THE BEST DISTRICT EVER! Elders Henderson, Tinney, Webster, Call, Brock, Dalton Hermanas Kessler and Sanford |
| Yvonne Vivanco :) |
| I ran into Hna. Alvarez! |
| "How to Ask a Good Question" we made these to help Mauricio |
| "How to Find a Good Answer" |
No comments:
Post a Comment