"Wherefore, go to, and call servants, that we may labor diligently with our might in the vineyard, that we may prepare the way...and if ye labor with your might with me ye shall have joy in the fruit... And it came to pass that the servants did go and labor with their mights; and the Lord of the vineyard labored also with them." -- Jacob 5: 61 & 71-72

Monday, February 16, 2015

Touchdown!

With Hna. Blanca, Hna. Lopez, and Hna. Jimena
Querida Familia,
I may not be a football expert, but I grew up watching the occasional BYU game with my dad. I learned by process of inference what was good and what was bad by the way he shouted, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, YEAH--WHOOOO!!!!!!!" or "NOOOO!!!!!!" at the TV at the top of his lungs at various intervals throughout the game. After about 19 years of practice, I eventually got the hang of the game, and now we watch BYU football and shout together at the TV at the top of our lungs. And I may still not be an expert in football, but I can tell from the basement or from outside the house if what is happening is in our favor or not.

As missionaries, it's so easy to fall into the trap of thinking that this great work of salvation is entirely an offensive one. We contact people on the street, give them Books of Mormon, and then give them reasons to invite us back to their homes at various hours of the day so that we can teach them more about this precious gospel message that we share. We do it because we want everyone to discover and make part of their lives the beautiful truths that we have found and made part of our own lives. And although the mission may not literally be a game of football, I can tell we are playing on the offensive when entire groups of people cross the street to avoid talking with us--two fearsome, snarling, people-eating, 20-year-old sister missionaries.:) It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that we're only playing on the offensive. but our dear zone leaders posed to us a question yesterday that really made me think.

"Hermanas. What are you doing today to protect your sector from Satan?"

Whoa. Talk about a home-run question!

We may just be two young sister missionaries, called to invite others to come unto Christ and then to respect their agency in letting them make their own decision, but are we constantly remembering to run a defensive plan, or are we simply implementing an offensive one?

The game of life--the battle we are waging every day against the adversary---is quite a bit bigger and a LOT more serious than a simple game of football, but the same rules and principles apply. We cannot afford to simply play offensively; that is the way in which we score touchdowns, but it is not enough. We have to keep our adversary at 0. We cannot let him gain yardage nor points. We cannot let him through to score his own touchdowns.

What, then, can we do today to protect ourselves, our homes, and our families from Satan?

I know that as we keep the commandments faithfully--as we are dilligent in doing the small and simple things (daily scripture study and prayer and weekly Family Home Evening and sacrament meeting attendance)--we will be able to maintain a grounded, solid defensive line and will then be enabled in our efforts to run the ball, share the gospel, receive saving ordinances, and score touchdowns--we will win the game, and we will receive the promised blessings. We will receive eternal life.

I am grateful for inspired coaches and priesthood leaders who recognize that there is much more to this game of football than simply running the offensive. If we don't have a strong defense, no matter how strong our offense, we will lose the game. Let us remember, then, that every day we must strive to strengthen our defense--run the drills, hold the practices, and boost the morale--if we are to succeed. Let's be faithful and dilligent in the little things, and I have absolutely no doubt that the Lord will bless us with the touchdowns. The Lord will bless us with the victory.:)

Life may not be a walk in the park...but it is awfully like a game of football.

with Hermana Lopez
By way of other news, I have a new companion! 
Hermana Lopez is from Paraguay. She's an angel, is studying to be a professional flautist, is 20 years old... And I'm beginning to suspect that we're pretty much the same person. We both like classical music, hard boiled eggs, sandwiches, and ice cream...and that's just about all the depth there is to me, so, in all the important things, we're the same! Haha. She really is SO sweet, and I'm very, very excited to learn more about and develop more charity this cambio with her.:) Hermana Lopez has 6 months in the mission, and I'll be training her as a new Hermana Lider! We're so excited to work together, and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father blessed me with a companion who is so easy to get along with.:)

That's about all my news from Illapel! Keep choosing the right and sharing the gospel through your examples and in all you do! I love you all SO much! Have a wonderful week!:)

Con Todo Mi Amor,
Hermana Sanford
Our new Illapel district!

Tomates rellenos:)

Humitas!:)  

with Cata

It's official! I finally got my Carnét!

No comments:

Post a Comment